Your new favorite macaroni and cheese recipe! This Mac & Cheese with Ham and Broccoli has everything you need for an easy dinner, including smokey ham, fresh broccoli, and pasta all in an amazing cheese sauce! Best of all, this simple pasta dinner is done and on the table in under 30 minutes!
Mac and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli
Do you have go-to meals that you make for your family time and time again? Tried and true recipes that are easy to make that you know everyone at the table will love?
This Mac and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli is one of those meals for our family. Like many kids, my 7-year-old is a HUGE mac & cheese guy, and ham is his preferred meat, so this pasta skillet is one that he loves. My husband and I love pasta and the addition of the smokey, delicious ham is a bonus for us all!
This Macaroni and Cheese with Ham is super simple to make, and best of all is done in under 30 minutes making it perfect for a great weeknight meal.
Here’s how this delicious Mac and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli comes together:
Step 1: Start with chopping your Ham and Broccoli
The ham that I use in this mac and cheese recipe is a thick-cut Black Forest Ham. I got this ham at my local grocery store at the deli section. I had the ham sliced extra thick, which makes for a wonderful addition to my pasta dish. You can also purchase ham steaks or a larger pre-cooked country or whole ham.
I also use fresh broccoli in this recipe. Frozen broccoli tends to get mushy when added to the pasta. Grab a couple of broccoli crowns in your produce section and chop into smaller bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: Make the cheese sauce while the pasta cooks
In a large stock-pot, bring water to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, add your pasta to the water and cook to package directions. For this macaroni and cheese with ham and broccoli I chose a medium sized pasta, Gemelli. If you cannot find gemeli, any other medium sized pasta will do. Here are some good recommendations:
- Farfalle (Bow-Tie)
Making the Cheese Sauce:
In my pasta dish, I made a fantastic two-cheddar cheese sauce using white cheddar, and extra sharp cheddar cheeses. This makes for a fantastic sauce that coats the pasta, broccoli and ham perfectly. The sauce is flavorful, but doesn’t overpower the smokey flavors of the ham.
Step 4: Add the pasta, ham and broccoli to the cheese sauce
Once your cheese sauce is done, add the diced ham and let it warm for a few minutes in the sauce. Next, add the cooked pasta and broccoli and stir together. Make sure the cheese sauce evenly incorporates with the pasta and broccoli.
From here, your macaroni and cheese with ham and broccoli is ready to serve.
If you like your macaroni and cheese with some additional toppings, here are a few ideas:
- Additional shredded cheese
- diced ham
These are also great to add, and then place under your broiler to melt and warm further.
If you loved this delicious Mac and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli, be sure to check out some of my other Easy Dinner recipes:
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Shredded Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce
- Easy Sheet Pan Cashew Chicken
- Hawaiian Ham & Pineapple Kebabs
- One Pot Cheesy Italian Goulash
Here’s the recipe for my easy and delicious Macaroni and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli:
- 1 lb. Gemelli pasta (or similar medium sized pasta), cooked & drained
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 4 c. milk
- 1 (8 oz. pkg) shredded, white cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1 (8 oz. pkg) shredded, sharp cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 3/4 lb. thick sliced ham, cubed
- 1 medium crown of broccoli, cut into small florets (about 4 cups of florets)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, bring generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, to al dente. (One minute less than package directions.)
- While water for pasta is coming to a boil and pasta cooks, begin making the cheese sauce. Over medium heat melt the butter. To the melted butter add the flour. Stir together, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture comes to a low simmer. In the microwave heat the milk for about 3 minutes or until very hot. Add the hot milk to the flour/butter mixture, and stir with a whisk. Increase heat to medium high. Continue whisking milk until is begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Once it starts to simmer and thicken, add the cheeses (remember to reserve 1/2 c. from each package for the topping.) Stir until the cheese melts.
- In the microwave, add the broccoli florets to a microwave safe bowl. Add about 1/2 c. water and steam for about 2 minutes on high.
- To the cheese sauce add the diced ham, steamed broccoli, and the cooked pasta. Stir together until all ingredients are incorporated. Top with the reserved cheeses. Remove from heat and add a lid to the top cheese melt for a couple minutes. Serve and enjoy right away.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2899Total Fat: 166gSaturated Fat: 87gCholesterol: 516mgSodium: 4099mgCarbohydrates: 228gSugar: 56gProtein: 125g
As you can see, this pasta comes together quickly and easily! You’ll discover that when you have some Smokehouse rules of your own, you’ll have some wonderfully tasty, flavorful meals that your entire family will love!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.