Are you looking for a way to easily make brats in air fryer? This simple, delicious Air Fryer Brats recipe needs just 4 ingredients. Perfectly crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside these air fryer bratwurst are a fantastic option when you don’t feel like grilling.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you looking to make brats in the air fryer? It’s actually a very easy process and the air fryer will give you fantastic results. With the sausage perfectly crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside, you may never mess with your grill again.
This air fryer bratwurst recipe needs just 4 simple ingredients, with just a few minutes of prep and only 10 minutes of cooking. A great option for a quick weeknight dinner and a go-to option for when you’re craving brats.
What do I need to make air fryer bratwurst?
- A package of bratwurst – these typically come 5-6 brats in a package, weighing around 1.5 lbs per pack. There are often many flavor types – this recipe will work for any flavor or type of bratwurst.
- Beer – I picked up a large can of Coors Light. The brats will marinate in the beer and take on some of the hops flavor.
- Garlic Powder – great for seasoning the outside of the brats.
- Ground Pepper – also great for seasoning the brats.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make air fryer brats?
Begin by placing the uncooked brats into a shallow baking dish. Pierce the skin of each bratwurst sausage with a fork several times on each side. Poking holes into the skin of the brats will help prevent the skin from breaking and rupturing during cooking.
Next, pour beer over the brats. A traditional way to prepare brats, adding beer will add some hops flavor to the bratwurst. Feel free to use any beer that you like and prefer.
Refrigerate the beer and brats for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
When ready to cook, drain off the beef from the brats. (Be sure to discard this beer. Because it was in direct contact with raw meat it is NOT safe to consume.)
Season the brats with ground pepper and garlic powder. Note that adding salt it not necessary to bratwurst. Most brats are already quite salty.
How long do you cook brats in an air fryer?
Cook brats at 390 degrees for 10 minutes. For best results, turn the brats after 5 minutes to allow for even browning.
Depending on the model of air fryer that you have, it is best to preheat your air fryer. I have a Ninja Max XL air fryer. This model recommends preheating at 3 minutes at the cooking temperature.
Be sure to consult the owners manual of your air fryer for recommended preheat times.
One of the most highly-rated, reviewed and LOVED air fryers on the market! The Ninja Max XL Air Fryer is one of the most used appliances in our kitchen, as we use it almost every day!
Frequently asked questions about making brats in the air fryer:
I recommend poking holes in brats with a fork before cooking in the air fryer. This will help release internal steam and prevent the skin from rupturing while cooking.
It is not necessary to boil brats before cooking in an air fryer. Brats will be perfectly cooked through and browned when prepared in the air fryer.
Cook Johnsonville brats in the air fryer at 390 degrees for 10-12 minutes. For best results, cook for 5-6 minutes, then turn the brats over and cook for another 5-6 minutes. This will help the brats evenly brown.
I recommend cooking brats at 390 degrees in an air fryer. Cook for 10-12 minutes, turning half way through.
Best toppings for brats:
Bratwurst is great served on Bavarian pretzel or brioche rolls. Toppings for bratwurst include mustards like brown or spicy mustard and a good sauerkraut. Here are some of our best picks for rolls and toppings:
- Favorite Day Brioche Rolls from Target
- Good and Gather Stone Ground Mustard
- Cleveland Kraut Classic Caraway Sauerkraut
What do I serve with brats?
Bratwurst is great served with potato salad, macaroni salad or any German style side. Here are some of our favorite side dishes that go great with these air fryer brats:
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Bacon Lovers Baked Beans
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
If you loved this air fryer recipe, check out some of our other easy air fryer ideas:
- 1 (1.5 lb) package, bratwurst
- 1 (24 oz.) can beer (any type)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
For Serving (all optional):
- Bavarian Pretzel or Brioche sausage rolls
- Sauteed onions
- To a shallow baking dish add the sausages. Using a fork, pierce the skin of each sausage several times on each side.
- Pour the entire can of beer over the top of the brats. Brats will be mostly submerged in the beer. Refrigerate the brats and beer for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- When ready to cook, drain off all the beer from the brats. (Note: because the beer was in direct contact with raw meat, it is NOT okay to consume. Be sure to discard the beer.) Evenly sprinkle the garlic powder and pepper over the top of each bratwurst.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees for 3 minutes. Place the seasoned bratwurst into the air fryer basket. Cook the bratwurst at 390 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Pause cooking, then turn the sausages so they brown evenly on each side. Finish cooking for an additional 5-6 minutes. Total cook time will be 10-12 minutes.
- Serve the brats in Bavarian pretzel or brioche rolls or sausage buns. Top with your desired toppings, like brown or spicy mustard, sauerkraut and/or sauteed onions.
Air Fryer Preheat Times - be sure to check the owners manual of your air fryer for exact preheat times. I have a Ninja Max XL air fryer, which calls for a 3 minute preheat at cook temperature.
Leftovers - store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. Brats will keep for 3-4 days refrigerated.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Deep 9x13-Inch Glass Baking Dish with Lid, Deep Casserole Dish, Glass Food Container, Oven, Freezer and Microwave Safe, Clear Container
The Original Popco Tongs for Cooking - Set of 3 (7, 9, 12 inches) - Heavy Duty, 304 Stainless Steel BBQ and Kitchen Tongs with Silicone Tips (3 COLORS AVAILABLE)
Ninja AF161 Max XL Air Fryer that Cooks, Crisps, Roasts, Bakes, Reheats and Dehydrates, with 5.5 Quart Capacity, and a High Gloss Finish, Grey
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 608mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g