Do you love chocolate for a snack? Then this healthy, creamy chocolate chia seed pudding will be right up your alley! Made with just 6 ingredients, this chocolate chia pudding recipe is a great make ahead snack when you want to have something healthy on hand.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Life is just better with chocolate, right? This chocolate chia pudding recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a creamy, chocolate snack in a healthy way.
Made with good quality ingredients, like Greek yogurt, almond milk and chia seeds, this chia pudding recipe is a great healthy option. This is a great meal prep snack recipe for when you want to make a healthy choice for yourself.
What do I need to make chocolate chia pudding?
- Plain Green Yogurt – I like Fage 2% or 5% Greek yogurt, as it is ultra thick, creamy and give chia pudding a great thickness. It also adds a good source of protein, as well!
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk – I prefer an unsweetened vanilla almond milk to keep the calories low, however, use your preferred dairy or plant-based milk.
- Chia seeds – chia seeds are an essential ingredient for any chia seed pudding.
- Unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- Sweetener – I prefer a granular stevia & monk fruit sweetener, like Whole Earther, but you could also use honey or maple syrup to sweeten your pudding.
- Vanilla extract – great for flavor!
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make chocolate chia seed pudding?
Start by mixing together the yogurt, milk, chia seeds, sweetener and vanilla. Using a whisk is helpful in fully incorporating the yogurt with the rest of the ingredients. This will help give you a smooth consistency.
Next add in the unsweetened cocoa powder. Whisking this powder into the rest of the ingredients will help achieve a smooth consistency without lumps.
How long do I refrigerate chia seed pudding
Once all the ingredients are mixed together, it’s time to refrigerate your pudding. Chia seed pudding needs at least 3 hours to refrigerate, set-up and thicken.
The chia seeds will plump-up and take on a texture similar to tapioca.
Would you prefer a more smooth texture to your chia pudding? Simple blend all the ingredients before refrigerating. This will give you a more silky, smooth pudding texture.
What can I eat with chocolate chia pudding?
- Chocolate and berries – the combination of chocolate and strawberries or raspberries is fantastic. Add your pudding to a bowl and top with chocolate chunks or chips, and add sliced strawberries or raspberries. Really delicious!
- Chunky monkey – this chocolate chia pudding is fantastic with sliced bananas, chocolate chunks and peanut butter. Choose a nut butter with no added oils or refined sugar.
- Almond joy – top your chocolate chia pudding with chocolate chunks, chopped almonds and unsweetened flake coconut that will taste just like the classic almond joy candy bar.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the recipe at the bottom of the post. Thanks!
Frequently asked questions about making chia pudding:
Chia pudding is a very healthy snack or breakfast option. Chia seeds contain Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber and anti-oxidants. To make your chia pudding, add in ingredients like plain Greek yogurt and milk to increase the protein content.
Stale or old chia seeds may be the issue. Also, make sure to adequately whisk or stir in the chia seeds with the liquid. Lastly, to have a thicker pudding consistency, consider adding Greek yogurt to the mixture.
To make chia seed pudding use a ratio of 2 tablespoons to 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups of liquid. If you like a thicker pudding, use half almond milk and half Greek yogurt. (For example 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, and 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt.)
Yes, you can substitute cacao for cocoa powder. This is an equal 1:1 ratio substitution.
Love chocolate at snack time? Check out some of our healthy snack recipes here:
- Chocolate Protein Pudding
- Sugar-Free Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Black Bean Brownie Recipe
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- Double Chocolate Protein Balls
- Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Chocolate Baked Oats – great to keep in the freezer for a healthy breakfast or snack!
If you loved this chia seed recipe, check out some of our other recipes made with chia seeds:
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Looking for a healthy snack option that's chocolate? This chocolate chia seed pudding is a great healthy snack option for any chocolate lover. Made with just 6 ingredients, it comes together in just minutes.
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, like Fage 2%
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (cacao powder can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon granular monk fruit sweetener (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To a mixing bowl, add the yogurt, milk, chia seeds, sweetener, and vanilla. Using a whisk, mix together well.
- To the mixture, add in the cocoa powder. Whisk it into the mixture until fully combined and completely absorbed.
- Pour the pudding mixture into a mason jar, meal prep container or any other resealable container that can be fitted with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate the pudding for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Enjoy the pudding plain, or topped with berries, bananas, nut butter, chopped nuts and or unsweetened flake coconut.
When kept refrigerated, chia seed pudding will keep for up to 5 days in a sealed container.
Texture preference - if you prefer a more smooth texture, as less like tapioca, put all the ingredients into a blender, and blend on medium high speed for one minute. Pour into a container and refrigerate. This will give you a more smooth pudding.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
WHOLE EARTH Stevia & Monk Fruit Plant-Based Sweetener, 9.8 Ounce Jar
Zulay Kitchen 5 Pack High Quality, Leak-Proof Glass Food Storage Containers - 36 oz Thick & Durable Glass Meal Prep Containers - Airtight Easy to Clean Glass Storage Containers With Lids
Suncore Foods Organic Raw Black Chia Seeds, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Kosher, 15oz (1 Pack)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 10gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g
Speak Your Mind