Recipe, photos and opinions are 100% my own.
BACON LOVERS BAKED BEANS
The classic baked beans recipe got an awesome upgrade! These Bacon Lovers Baked Beans and loaded with 1 pound of crisp, delicious bacon along with three types of beans, peppers onions and an amazing sauce. Made in the oven or slow cooker, this easy side dish is a must-have for any cookout, pot-luck, tailgate party or picnic!
It’s nearly cookout season you guys!! It might be my favorite time of year – things slow down a bit, lawn chairs come out, and friends and family gather together to enjoy great company and food. Anytime there is a cookout, picnic, barbecue or pot-luck, you’ve got to have an amazing assortment of sides, and baked beans MUST to be one of them! But, it cannot be just any baked beans recipe – my recipe for Bacon Lovers Baked Beans will be your new go-to recipe for your next summer get-together.
For this baked beans recipe, I made sure to include some of the very best Sugardale® Hickory Smoked Bacon. Sugardale Foods is a family-owned company and has been in business for nearly a century and all of its products are proudly made in the USA! Sugardale Hickory Smoked Bacon is made using a historic and secret blend of ingredients and has delighted bacon lovers for nearly a century with the perfect blend of smoke and sweetness. That wonderful blend of smoke and sweetness is the perfect compliment to this baked beans recipe. This Sugardale Hickory Smoked Bacon is their most popular variety, but they also offer Thick Sliced, Extra Thick Sliced, Center Cut, Applewood Smoked, Peppered, Lower Sodium and Pre-Cooked Ready Bacon. All of these are perfect for breakfast, sandwiches and salads, or wrapped around a juicy steak. Here are the easy steps to making this fantastic baked beans recipe:
Step 1: Chop and Brown the Bacon
I used my big Dutch oven to brown the bacon, but you can also use a large skillet or even your slow cooker, should it have a browning feature. I then transferred the bacon out of the pot, and on to a plate lined with paper towels. I drained the majority of the grease, but left about two tablespoons at the bottom of the pot to saute the peppers and onions. It’s a great way to add some extra smokey flavor to additional ingredients.
Step 2: Add the beans, peppers, onions and bacon back to the pot
Using the same Dutch oven that I browned the bacon and sauteed the peppers and onions, I then added the three varieties of beans, along with the bacon, peppers and onions. (Make sure you’re using a large pot or pan, as this recipe makes rather large quantity! It really is perfect for a potluck, cookout or barbecue!) In a separate bowl, make the sauce by combining the tomato sauce, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire, and spices. Stir together well, and then pour directly into the pot with the bacon and beans. Stir all of the ingredients well. From here, the beans are ready to heat. There are three ways you can cook these beans: Stovetop, Oven or Slow Cooker. The cook times are specified in the recipe.
The textures and flavors of these baked beans can’t be beat! The crisp, savory bacon adds such amazing flavor to every bite of these beans. No only will this baked beans recipe be a huge hit at your next potluck, it’s always the first side dish to disappear. Be prepared to be asked for the recipe!
Here is a shopping list of the ingredients you’ll need for these amazing baked beans:
- 1 lb. Sugardale Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 cans (22 oz.) basic baked beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz) butter beans
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- brown sugar
- white vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- ground mustard powder
- 1 lb. Sugardale® Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (22 oz.) cans, basic baked beans
- 1 (15.5 oz) can, kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz) can, butter beans, rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can, tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. ground mustard powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- Cut the Sugardale® Hickory Smoked Bacon into pieces. In a large Dutch Oven or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, begin browning the bacon to a medium crispness. Remove bacon from from skillet, transferring to a plate or bowl. Drain off the majority of the grease, leaving a some grease in the skillet. Over medium-high heat, saute the onion and pepper for 5-7 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- To the onions and pepper, add in the baked beans, kidney beans, butter beans and bacon.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk or stir together until combined. Pour over the bean mixture. Stir all ingredients together until well coated and combined.
- Oven heat: Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Stove-top: Bring to simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce to low, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slow Cooker: Heat on low for 3-4 hours.
Beans can be served warm or cold.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 25Sodium: 2328mgCarbohydrates: 6gSugar: 5g
If you loved this recipe, be sure to check out some of my other cookout side-dish recipes, like these:
What’s your go-to cookout recipe? Share it with me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#Sweeps” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from SheKnows via the [email protected]. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 4/19/17- 11/30/17
Be sure to visit the brand page on Sheknowsmedia.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!