The perfect healthy treat for when chocolate cravings hit! These Double Chocolate Protein Balls are grain-free, refined sugar-free, low-carb, Paleo-friendly, and taste amazing. The perfect chocolate chip protein balls recipe without the guilt!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
AMAZING Chocolate Chip Protein Bites Recipe!
Do you love chocolate but wanna keep on the straight-and-narrow with healthy eating? Good news! These Double Chocolate Protein Bites are a great way to have your chocolate and also do yourself a favor with some extra protein!
Made with protein powder, nut butter and almond meal, these protein bites are great before or after a workout, or when you’re looking for a nutritious afternoon snack without the guilt.
Here’s how to make these simple, delicious chocolate chip protein balls:
Are protein balls healthy for you?
Yes. Protein balls are a healthy choice when looking for a sweet snack. Making sure you use good quality ingredients is key to keeping these protein balls healthy?
Each bite has 8.25 grams of protein, and tastes like brownies – seriously, it’s the best of both worlds! A serving is 2 bites, therefore you’ll giving yourself 16.5 grams of protein – which makes for a really smart snack option.
What makes these even smarter is that they’re grain-free, gluten-free, low-carb and Paleo-friendly. If you want to make these truly Paleo, omit the chocolate chips. You’ll still get the great chocolate flavor in each bite.
What do I need to make chocolate chip protein balls?
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need to make these protein balls:
- Chocolate protein powder (whey or plant-based)
- Almond meal/flour
- Cocoa powder
- Nut butter (use good quality without added sugar or oils)
- Maple Syrup
- No sugar added chocolate chips: I like Lily’s or Lakanto as NSA options.
How do I make chocolate protein balls?
Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl, with the exception of the water. Stir together, then gradually add in the water 1 tablespoon at a time. The dough will begin to come together and become slightly sticky.
From here, use a cookie scoop or tablespoon(measuring spoon), and scoop out the protein bites. Then, using your hands, roll into balls.
Place on a cookie sheet that has been lined with plastic wrap (you can also use waxed or parchment paper) to prevent them from sticking to the pan.
Refrigerate or freeze until the bites are firm – at least 1 hour. Place 2 bites (1 serving) in individual snack-sized freezer bags, then store in the freezer. You can also place in an air-tight container and refrigerate or freeze if that’s what works better for you.
How long do protein balls last?
If kept refrigerated, they will last 2 weeks. If kept frozen, the protein balls will last for 2-3 months.
Perfect for taking to work, packing in your lunchbox, or simply keeping in your freezer, these protein bites are the perfect make-ahead snack.
When should you eat protein balls?
- Before your workout: protein balls are great before your workout go help sustain your energy and stamina.
- After your workout: because protein balls contain a good amount of protein, they are great for replenishing your depleted body and assist in repairing muscle tissue.
- Mid-Day Snack: these are a great snack option instead of a sugar-filled treat. These chocolate protein bites are sweet and will give you a good amount of protein.
Are protein balls good for losing weight?
Yes! Protein balls are a good snack option when you are looking to lose weight. The protein will help keep you fuller, longer.
Remember: keep your portion in check.
Don’t have much time to make your own healthy snacks? Check out my list of the 30 Best Healthy Target Snacks. These are fantastic healthy snack ideas that you can grab and go when shopping at Target.
If you’re looking for another good protein-packed snack, check out my Chocolate Protein Mug Cake. This recipe has 26 grams of protein and no refined sugar!
If you loved these chocolate chip protein balls, check out some of my other healthy snack recipes:
- Chocolate Protein Pudding
- Banana Brownies Recipe
- Chocolate Coconut Date Balls
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Chocolate Covered Banana Bites
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- Cranberry No Bake Energy Bites
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins
- 4 Ingredient Sugar-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
- Turkey & Veggie Snack Wraps
- Blueberry Protein Muffins
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Lunchbox Turkey & Ham Skewers
Double Chocolate Protein Balls
- In a mixing bowl add the protein powder, almond meal, cacao powder, nut butter and maple syrup. Stir to combine ingredients, gradually add the water 1 tablespoon at a time. As the water is added, the ingredients will become thicker and slightly sticky. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon/measuring spoon, roll into 1″ balls using your hands. Place on cookie sheet, and refrigerate or freeze for 1 hour for bites to become firm.
- Place in resealable container or plastic bags. Refrigerate or freeze and take out when ready to enjoy.