Hearty, delicious Chicken Dumpling Soup Recipe!
Meet your new favorite chicken and dumplings recipe! This Italian Chicken Dumpling Soup recipe is loaded with vegetables, gnocchi and Italian herbs. Perfect for a cold night, this chicken gnocchi soup recipe is hearty, comforting and completely delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Italian Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
When you’re craving a hot, comforting bowl of soup, this chicken gnocchi soup recipe might be your new go-to. Made with hearty vegetables, white-meat chicken, and tender gnocchi dumplings, this soup will warm your body and soul. The perfect easy dinner idea for a cold, winter night.
The steps to making this hearty and delicious chicken and dumpling soup recipe are simple. You’ll begin my gathering these ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Yellow Onion
- Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- Petite Diced Tomatoes (1 can)
- Pre-packaged or frozen gnocchi
- Italian Herb Seasoning (dried)
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-Cooked Chicken (shredded or diced)
(Get the exact ingredient amounts and complete directions in the recipe at the bottom of this post.)
Much like my Hearty Chicken Double Noodle Soup, and my Chicken Pot Pie Soup over at Lil Luna, this soup is made with white meat chicken that I’ve pre-cooked. I also include store-bought gnocchi for the dumplings – this is a fantastic short-cut and time saver versus a traditional dumpling. It also adds a great Italian flare to this recipe.
What vegetables do I add to chicken dumpling soup?
For this chicken gnocchi soup recipe you’ll need carrots, celery and onion. Here are some other great vegetable add in’s:
- Tuscan kale
- Baby spinach
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped carrots, celery and onion and saute over medium high heat. Once the onions have become slightly translucent, add the garlic and saute for one minute more.
Next, add the broth and cover the pot. Bring to a low simmer.
Step 2: Add the Chicken, Tomatoes and Seasoning
This Italian chicken dumpling soup recipe is wonderfully flavorful and hearty thanks to the chicken, tomatoes and seasoning.
Once the broth has come back to a simmer, add the chicken, tomatoes and seasoning. Give the soup a stir, and the cover the pot again. Bring the soup back to a low simmer.
Step 3: Add the Gnocchi
Once the soup is back to simmering, add the gnocchi. Cook the gnocchi according to package directions. For these larger gnocchi dumplings, I simmered them in the soup for approximately 5 minutes. You will know they are done once the gnocchi begin to float to the top of the soup.
What type of gnocchi do I use in soup?
Feel free to use simple, store-bought gnocchi for this soup. You can find gnocchi in the pasta aisle of your supermarket.
You’ll see that I’ve used the larger size gnocchi for this recipe. However, feel free to use a mini-gnocchi or a gnocchetti, which are always great in any soup recipe. Be sure to note the cook time on the package for any gnocchi that you use.
Once the gnocchi begin to float to the top of the soup, it’s ready to serve. Ladle into bowls, and serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
This chicken and dumpling soup recipe is fantastic anytime you’re in the mood for a hearty bowl of soup, and great for an easy, weeknight meal!
If you loved this Italian Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe, check out some of my other soup recipes:
These delicious Easy Cheesy Breadsticks would be fantastic for dunking in your Italian Chicken & Dumpling Soup!
Here’s the easy, delicious recipe for my Italian Chicken and Dumpling Soup:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. carrots, chopped
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 qts. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz. can), petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. (approx. 1 lb.) cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 (17.6 oz. pkg.) shelf-stable gnocchi
- Heat a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the hot pot. To the hot oil add the carrots, celery and onion. Saute for approximately 5 minutes or until the onions start becoming translucent. Add the garlic and saute for one minute more.
- Add the chicken broth and cover the pot with a lid. Bring to a low simmer. Once the liquid is simmering, add the tomatoes, chicken and spices (Italian seasoning, salt and pepper). Stir to combine, and re-cover the pot to bring the liquid back to a simmer.
- Once the soup is simmering again, add the gnocchi. Cook the gnocchi according to package directions. FYI - the gnocchi I use take about 5 minutes to cook. You will know when the gnocchi is done cooking once they float to the top.
- Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1493Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 8328mgCarbohydrates: 235gSugar: 17gProtein: 59g