Need a super quick dinner idea? These super easy 10 minute Rotisserie Chicken Tacos are the perfect option for a busy weeknight. This shredded chicken tacos recipe is made with a store-bought rotisserie chicken and a few other simple ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you on your way home from work and wondering what to pick up for dinner tonight? Do you need something super quick and easy to make? These rotisserie chicken tacos are the answer!
By grabbing a store-bought rotisserie chicken, some taco sauce and a fresh lime or two, this shredded chicken tacos recipe is done in 10 minutes. A simple, healthy weeknight dinner idea that everyone in your family will love!
What do I need to make shredded chicken tacos?
- A store-bought rotisserie chicken
- Taco Sauce – you can use store-bought, or my homemade taco sauce recipe is fantastic!
- Juice of 1 lime
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
For these chicken tacos, I use my recipe for homemade taco sauce. It’s incredibly simple to make, and can be done well in advance of when you plan to make your tacos.
I will often make a batch of this taco sauce on the weekend. I store it in a mason jar or resealable container in the refrigerator. When ready to make my tacos, I literally just pour the sauce over the top of the chicken.
Is store bought taco sauce unhealthy?
Yes. Most store-bought taco sauces are made with high-fructose corn syrup, refined sugars and highly processed oils and additives. By making your own taco sauce, you get to control the ingredients of what goes into your sauce.
Making your own taco sauce is also a great way to tailor the spice level to your preference.
How do I make rotisserie chicken tacos?
- Start by pulling apart your store-bought rotisserie chicken. This can easily be done with your hands. You can also shred large pieces of chicken using two forks.
- Add 16 oz. of the shredded chicken to a large skillet. Add in 1/2 cup of water to the chicken to heat. Bring to a low simmer or until the chicken and water are heated through – about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the chicken is heated, add in the taco sauce and the juice of one lime. Stir together well to coat the chicken in the taco sauce. Bring to a low simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Once the chicken and sauce are heated through, the chicken tacos are ready to be assembled and served.
What do I need to serve chicken tacos?
Here’s a quick reference shopping list of ingredients that are good to serve chicken tacos:
- Corn or flour tortillas, or crispy taco shells
- Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Tropical Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Guacamole or sliced/diced avocados
- Sour cream
- Corn Salsa
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheese – Mexican blend, cheddar or a cheddar jack blend is great for tacos.
Ingredient Substitutions and Recommendations:
- Rotisserie chicken – instead of buying a rotisserie chicken, you can also purchase pre-cooked, pulled chicken at Costco in their prepared foods section. Check out all of my 15 Things I Buy at Costco for Healthy Meals for some really great dinner ideas!
- Homemade Taco Sauce – if time is tight and you don’t have homemade taco sauce already made, pick up a jar of store-bought taco sauce.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the recipe at the bottom of the post. Thanks!
Frequently asked questions about making chicken tacos:
Most grocery stores sell rotisserie chickens in their deli department. I’ve discovered that Costco has one of the best prices for rotisserie chickens. Costco rotisserie chickens are also slightly larger.
You can purchase cooked, pulled chicken at Costco. 2.5 lb. vacuum-sealed bags of pulled white-meat chicken is available in their prepared foods section.
Yes. You can use store bought or homemade taco seasoning on pre-cooked, shredded chicken. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste along with 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer.
Yes. You can add store-bought or homemade taco sauce to pre-cooked shredded chicken to make chicken tacos. I recommend adding the juice of 1 lime for additional flavor.
Serve chicken tacos with pico de gallo salsa, guacamole or fresh avocado slices, fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and/or shredded lettuce. Corn salsa is also great on the side.
Inspired to make more delicious Tex-Mex recipes? Check out some of our other easy options:
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
If you loved this easy taco recipe, check out some of my other quick taco recipes:
- 1 lb. rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. taco sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- Using a store-bought rotisserie chicken, shred approximately 1 lb. of the meat using your hands, or two forks for large pieces. Place shredded chicken in a large skillet.
- To the chicken, add 1/2 cup of water and heat over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is heated through and the water begins to simmer.
- To the steaming chicken, add the taco sauce and lime juice. Stir well to coat all of the chicken evenly. Heat over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken begins to simmer.
- Remove from heat and serve in tortillas or a taco salad and all of your favorite taco toppings.
I highly recommend making the homemade taco sauce in advance. I usually make the sauce on a weekend, and store in the refrigerator. Once ready, the taco sauce can be added directly to the shredded chicken for a really quick meal.
The seasoned chicken will keep for up to 5-7 days, refrigerated in an air-tight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 3 oz. chicken, 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 610mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g