Have you ever heard the phrase “A sandwich always tastes better when someone else makes it”? I often find that this is true, although, when I put together these Italian Salami Sliders I discovered that making your own tasty sandwiches debunks this phrase. Slightly spicy, peppery, and loaded with fresh ingredients, these mini sandwiches are completely delicious!
So many of us eat sandwiches for lunch, and salami, pepperoni and many Italian meats are definitely popular at our house. Slightly spicy, peppery and perfect for a lunch that you’re packing for work, or packing for your kids to take to school.
To compliment the Cracked Black Pepper Salami and Classic Pepperoni, I chose a classic olive oil and pepper focaccia bread, and sliced it lengthwise, and then cut it into small 1 1/2 inch cubes. I also included fresh, peppery arugula, Roma tomato slices, yellow pepperoncini peppers, provolone cheese, a bit of olive oil mayo, and topped with an olive. The flavor is amazing!
As you can see, these will fit perfectly in any lunchbox for your kids, teenagers and yourself. They’re great for taking to school or work, and a nice, flavorful change of pace from your tired flavorless sandwich. These mini sandwiches would also be perfect for tailgating season! Bring these along to your next high school, college football, or NFL games to cheer on your team. They make great sandwiches when your feeding a crowd or just you and your family.
The Oscar Mayer Old World Style Pepperoni and Salami make a great addition to any sandwich, and is an excellent source of protein, with up to 8 grams per serving. I got the chance to taste all of these meats, and when you open the package, they smell fantastic!! My personal favorite is the Cracked Black Pepper Salami. Our family eats salami quite often (especially my husband!), and these meats will be a new staple at our house. Here’s how easy these Italian Salami Sliders come together:
- 6-8 (1 1/2" cubes, sliced lengthwise) of Focaccia Bread
- Oscar Mayer Old World Style Classic Pepperoni, 6-8 slices
- Oscar Mayer Old World Style Cracked Black Pepper Salami, 6-8 slices
- 2 large slices, provolone cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- fresh, baby arugula
- 6-8 jarred yellow Pepperoncini peppers
- Mayonnaise (your choice)
- black olives
- Using a large bread knife, cube 6-8 pieces of Focaccia bread approximately 1 1/2" each. Slice each cube in half lengthwise. Cut the large slices of provolone cheese into quarters. Cut each slice of pepperoni and salami in half. Slice the roma tomatoes and pepperoncinis. Set aside for assembly.
- Layer each mini sandwich slider with the following: 1-2 leaves of arugula, a quarter slice of cheese, two halves each of the pepperoni and salami folded over, a slice of tomato, and peppers. Spread a bit of mayo on the top slice of focaccia, and using a toothpick pierce through an olive and secure through the top of the sandwich. Repeat process for the remainder of sliders.
The next time you’re craving a delicious sandwich, throw that old adage of “a sandwich tasting better when someone else makes it” out the window. You can easily make these sliders for you and your family for a great tasting lunch.