Easy & Delicious Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
If you’re looking for a heathy and easy chicken sweet potato broccoli recipe you’ve come to the right place! This super flavorful Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes is roasted with broccoli, apples, red onion and glazed with apple cider! Is your mouth watering yet?
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Oven Roasted Chicken Sweet Potatoes Broccoli on ONE Pan!
If you’re like me and always on the look out for easy, healthy chicken recipes that actually taste good, I’ve got a great one for ya! This delicious apple cider chicken recipe is perfect for tossing together for a weeknight meal or making on a Sunday for your meal prep lunches for the week.
Here’s how this simple, delicious Chicken and Sweet Potatoes recipe with apples and veggies comes together.
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Before you start making this chicken and sweet potatoes recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients.
Anytime you begin making a recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients before you start.
Substitutions: For this recipe, I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use boneless, skinless thighs. For the vegetables, I used broccoli, red onion and apples however it you prefer other veggies, some great substitutes would be green beans, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower or carrots. The sweet potatoes are wonderful in this recipe, but you can also use red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes or butternut squash.
Anytime you make substitutions, your bake time will vary. As the recipe cooks, check the vegetables and chicken for adequate doneness.
Step 1: Prebake the sweet potatoes and vegetables
Because the vegetables and potatoes take longer to cook than the chicken, these will go in the oven first.
Chop the broccoli, sweet potatoes, apple and red onion and place on a large sheet pan.
Whisk together the apple cider glaze, making sure to reserve 3-4 Tbsp. for glazing the chicken. Pour the glaze over the vegetables and toss together to coat. Sprinkle with some seasoning salt, if desired.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Step 2: While the vegetables pre-bake, mix the seasoning and coat the chicken.
The seasoning rub for this chicken is amazing! It’s very similar to what I use for my Apple Cider Glazed Pork Chops which is one of my top all time recipes here at DelightfulEMade!
Mix the spices, brown sugar and olive oil together in a small bowl, then coat both sides of the chicken.
Once the vegetables and potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes, remove the sheet pan from the oven. Place the seasoned chicken on the pan, and then pour on the remaining apple cider glaze over the chicken. Bake for another 20 minutes.
A Simple Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes recipe easy enough for a weeknight!
You’ll note that the chicken breasts only need 20 minutes at 400 degrees to cook through. Any longer and your chicken will begin to dry out.
How do I cook chicken so it stays moist?
The best, most effective way to cook chicken so it stays moist, is to ensure you don’t over-cook it. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts only need 20 minutes to bake at 400 degrees.
Do you cover chicken when baking?
No. Covering chicken when baking is not necessary.
What protein goes well with sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are wonderfully universal and go with several proteins. They are great to pair with poultry like chicken and turkey, and are also a great side for pork chops, sausage and steak!
Are sweet potatoes good for weight loss?
Sweet potatoes are rich in dietary fiber. They are good for digestion and because of their high fiber content, help you feel full. However, just like any other food, be mindful of your serving size if you are on a weight loss journey.
If you loved this delicious sheet pan recipe check out some of my other similar recipes:
Healthy Cashew Chicken – baked on a Sheet Pan!
Here’s the recipe for the Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 medium-large breasts)
- 1 large (16 oz.) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large (8+ oz.) apple, cubed (Honey crisp or Pink lady are great)
- 5 c. Broccoli florets
- 1 c. red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
Apple Cider Glaze:
- 3/4 c. apple cider (or apple juice)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. crush red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar or brown sugar substitute (like Swerve)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- On a large sheet pan, add the diced sweet potato, diced apple (no need to peel), broccoli florets and red onion. Set aside.
- Make the apple cider glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider, honey, mustard, red pepper flakes, and salt. (Reserve 2-3 Tbsp to glaze the chicken later.) Pour the remaining glaze over the vegetables on the pan and toss together. Sprinkle with seasoning salt. Bake the potatoes and vegetables for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables and potatoes cook, mix together the wet-rub for the chicken. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and olive oil. Coat each chicken breast with the wet rub.
- Once the potatoes and vegetables have cooked for 20 minutes, remove from the oven. Place the chicken in the center of the pan with the vegetables and potatoes. Pour the remaining apple cider glaze over the top of the chicken. Cook all ingredients for another 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Chicken should be done after 20 minutes. Test with an instant read or meat thermometer - internal temp should be 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Boneless, skinless thighs can be substituted for the chicken breasts.
Maple syrup can be substituted for the honey.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1032mgCarbohydrates: 43gSugar: 22gProtein: 29g