Are you going to have company anytime soon? Struggling to come up with some easy ways to feed your peeps for breakfast while they are crashing at your place? Why not have a coffee cake on hand? Its a nice alternative to the big, heavy breakfasts that take what seem to be hours to make. This is something you can even make ahead of time, and have ready to slice right away in the morning while the coffee is brewing.
The flavors of this coffee cake are wonderful! The tart cranberries and sweetness of the glaze compliment each other and the almond paste and extract create a flavorful cake that brings it all together. This could be great for when you have company for the holidays, or even something to bring in to work to sweeten up those co-workers.
- ½ c. Almond Paste (found in the baking aisle near the pie filling)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- ⅓ c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⅓ c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2¼ c. fresh or frozen cranberries
- For Topping:
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. milk
- ¼ tsp. Almond extract
- ½ c. Sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease or spray an 8″ round or square cake pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the almond paste, butter and sugar using a stand or hand mixer. Add eggs gradually, and continue to beat to a creamy mixture. In seperate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in extracts, and fold in cranberries. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 for 48-52 minutes until cake is golden brown, and toothpick tester comes out clean. (No cake crumbs sticking.)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool on a rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. Drizzle over cake and add almonds while glaze is still wet.
This recipe was adapted and revised from the cookbook Taste of Home Bakeshop Favorites. You can purchase this cookbook at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/taste-of-home-bake-shop-favorites-taste-of-home/1117164059?ean=9781617650932
You and your guests will surely enjoy this coffee cake! Happy Holidays!