If you’re a mom like me, you’ve likely made a few thousand PB&J sandwiches. My son has a PB&J in his lunch box several times a week, and I will even have it here at home for a quick lunch. It is certainly a good, stand-by sandwich, but after a while, it gets a little old. I’ve got a sandwich that takes the basics of a PB&J and steps it up a notch. The Grilled Banana Split Sandwich has chunky peanut butter for a little crunch, Nutella, strawberry jam and bananas! Served hot, this sandwich is yummy, melty deliciousness!
This sandwich, is just like making a grilled cheese, only sweeter. Quick, and easy to throw together you and your kids will go ga-ga over this delicious treat – perfect for lunch or an after school snack!
- 2 slices, whole wheat bread
- 1 Tbsp. Chunky peanut butter (use creamy if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp. Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 Tbsp. Strawberry jam
- ½ banana, sliced
- 2 tsp. butter
- Using the two slices of bread, spread the peanut butter on one slice, and the Nutella on the other. Lay the banana slices on top of the peanut butter, and then drizzle the strawberry jam over the bananas. Sandwich the nutella bread over the slice with the bananas. Butter top side of bread with 1 tsp of butter.
- In a small skillet or griddle, on medium high heat, place the sandwich buttered side down, and grill for 1-2 minutes, or until browned. While first side is grilling, butter top side of bread with other tsp. of butter. Flip sandwich to grill on other side.
- Serve hot.
This sandwich is a fun way to enjoy lunch or snack with your kids. Perfect on a snowy or rainy day, it will warm their tummy and their hearts. It goes well with some fruit and a glass of milk, and some good conversation with those silly kids of ours.
Cheers to many warm tummies and great conversations!