You’ll never believe this pasta salad is light and healthy! Made with a delicious Greek yogurt dressing and loaded with fresh garden vegetables, this pasta salad will be your new favorite summer side dish. Perfect for cookouts, pot-lucks and summer barbecues!
One of our all time favorite picnic foods is fried chicken! Growing up in South Dakota, we always had fried chicken on July 4th or anytime we were going to a picnic, summer potluck or backyard bash. To this day I really love fried chicken, however, I don’t always like how long it takes to make or the fact that it heats up the house in the hot summer months.
If you love fried chicken just as much as we do, you definitely need to swing by your local Walmart and pick up a fresh, delicious batch! It’s perfect for your next cookout, neighborhood pot-luck or July 4th party!
We love pasta at our house, especially pasta salad in the warm summer months. It makes for a fantastic side-dish to the fried chicken and is a nice alternative to other mayo-heavy macaroni and pasta salads. My Garden Vegetable Pasta Salad is made with a much lighter dressing, using plain Greek yogurt and light sour cream. As far as I’m concerned this dressing is fantastic!
Along with the pasta, and dressing, I included lots of garden fresh vegetables! This is something that my mom, aunts and grandma always seemed to have plenty of during the summer. Cucumbers, yellow and green peppers, tomatoes, and green onions add an excellent texture and flavor to the salad. I also included fresh dill to give the salad some additional flavor and freshness.
Paired with the chicken, this pasta salad can’t be beat! Make this salad, and take it along with the Walmart Fried Chicken to your next summer potluck. People will be asking you for the recipe for the salad, and where you got the chicken!
Here’s the easy, delicious recipe for my Garden Vegetable Pasta Salad:
- 1 (12 oz.) package of orecchiette pasta or other shell-shaped pasta
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (7 oz) container of Plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ c. light sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- ½ medium green pepper, diced
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Fill a medium sauce pan with water, and 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Add a few ice cubes to cool the pasta. Let pasta sit in sink to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, chop and add the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and onions. Toss together with the cooled pasta.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sour cream, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the chopped dill. Pour over the vegetables and pasta, and stir until everything is evenly coated. Garnish with a few extra sprigs of fresh dill. Serve right away. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.
This pasta salad comes together quickly and easily, and makes for an excellent side for just about any summer meal.
Do you and your family love pasta salad? I would love to hear any tricks you have on how to make it on the lighter side. Let me know in the comments.
Enjoy summer, everyone! ~Erin