This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SwapMilk4Silk #CollectiveBias
Peaches, pecans and and delicious crumb topping come together in this amazingly moist, delicious coffee cake! Perfect for a morning treat, or an afternoon snack, this cake will be one of your absolute favorites!
So, we are at the tail end of summer, however, I’m not fretting about it. This is probably one of my favorite times of year, specifically because of all the fresh, delicious produce that’s available at the farmers markets. Peaches are at their peak right now, and here in Northern Virginia, they couldn’t be better – so plump, juicy and sweet. Before the season is over, I think I will get a bushel and freeze them just to help make the season last a bit longer.
One of my very favorite treats to make with fresh peaches is this delicious Peach Crumb Coffee Cake! It is absolutely to die for!! This is actually an old recipe that’s been around since my days as a kid in 4-H. I would make this cake for the county Achievement Days, and it consistently won purple ribbons every time! The feedback that I always got back from the judges was that the cake was so “wonderfully moist!”
I’ll fill you in on my secret to getting a “wonderfully moist” coffee cake – it’s yogurt! That’s right – not oil, extra margarine or butter – it’s yogurt! When mixing the batter, adding a container of Silk Vanilla Yogurt (the Mango-Peach is awesome, too!) is the key to getting an ultra-moist, soft, delicious cake every time! In addition to the Silk Vanilla Yogurt in the batter, I also used the Silk Vanilla Almond Milk in the glaze, which comes out creamy and delicious!
Not only do I love using Silk products when baking, but my family and I really enjoy them just on their own. My son loves Silk Vanilla Almond milk on his cereal in the morning, and I enjoy adding it to my coffee. The new Silk yogurts are pretty fantastic, too! I appreciate the fact that their made from the goodness of plants instead of dairy, and provide 6 grams of protein, are an excellent source of calcium and vitamin-D, and have no artificial colors or preservatives. And best of all, Silk tastes amazing!
The Silk Yogurts and Almond Milk can all be found at your local Walmart Stores. As you can see, Walmart has a really great selection of Silk products! I was actually able to get all of the ingredients I needed for my coffee cake at Walmart!
Making this yummy coffee cake is quite simple. The batter comes together quite easily. I top the batter with a crumble topping which, in my opinion, is essential for any coffee cake. I bake the cake in an 8×8 pan that has been lined with parchment paper. I really love this technique of using parchment paper, as the cake can be lifted right out of the pan when done baking. Once you’re ready to glaze the cake, it makes it even more pretty, as the glaze runs down the sides. I simply mix up the glaze, using powdered sugar and Silk Almond Milk, and then drizzle the cake with the glaze.
Don’t hold back with the glaze – half the fun of making this coffee cake is getting the chance to drizzle it with the icing! I tend to go diagonally one way, and then go diagonally in the opposite direction. You can really do it any way you prefer, as the glaze will sink down into the crumb topping, for a seriously delicious treat!
Once you slice your cake, those beautiful delicious golden peaches will appear! If fresh peaches aren’t available, don’t worry – using canned or frozen peaches works just as well! I will often make this coffee cake in the dead of winter just to have a reminder of summer! The cake pairs wonderfully with a good cup of coffee or tea, and also make a great treat to take into work to share with co-workers.
Here’s how this “wonderfully moist” and delicious Peach Crumb Coffee Cake comes together:
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 (5.3 oz. container), Silk Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ c. all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ c. chopped pecans
- Crumble Topping:
- ⅓ c. brown sugar
- ⅓ c. flour
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1½ Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1½ c. powdered sugar
- 2½ Tbsp. Silk Vanilla Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line an 8x8" baking pan with parchment paper, leaving extra paper over the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- With a hand or stand mixer, cream together the room temperature butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again until smooth. Add the yogurt, and mix until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Batter will be thick. Lastly, fold in the peaches and pecans. Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- For the crumble topping, mix together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Pour the melted butter over the mixture an stir together with a fork. Crumble over the top of the cake batter. Bake the cake for 33-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and crumb free. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes after removing from the oven. Lift the cake out of the pan using the sides of the parchment paper.
- Glaze the cake: Mix together the powdered sugar and the Silk Almond Milk. Stir together until creamy and lump-free. Drizzle over the warm cake. Let the glaze set. Slice into squares and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
I hope you get to enjoy this coffee cake soon! ~Erin
Do you have a favorite recipe that uses Silk Milks or Yogurts? I would love to hear them – be sure to drop me a note in the comment section below. Here are some additional recipe ideas using Silk!