Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
If you love an easy cookie recipe, these Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies are for you! Made with just a few simple ingredients, these cream cheese cake mix cookies are fantastic with rainbow sprinkles or Christmas sprinkles. Fantastic for just about any celebration!
Funfetti Cookies with Cake Mix – the EASIEST way to bake cookies!
There is something about sprinkles that says “Happy!” The beautiful rainbow colors are perfect for a celebration, and these Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies are the perfect way to celebrate. These cream cheese cake mix cookies can also be made with Christmas sprinkles, making for simple and incredibly delicious Christmas Cookies!
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your COOKIES board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Here are the simple steps to creating these yummy Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies:
Step 1: Mix the Dough and Refrigerate
The dough for these cookies starts by creaming together cream cheese, butter and flavorings (vanilla & almond extract.) You’ll then gradually add in the cake mix and sprinkles.
Once you’ve mixed the dough, you’ll need to refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Refrigerating the dough is important for two reasons:
- The dough will be less sticky the colder it is. It is much easier to roll the dough into balls with your hands.
- The cookies will bake more uniformly. The cookies will keep their shape once baked.
Step 2: Roll the dough into balls and add sprinkles
Once the dough has thoroughly chilled, you can then form the cookie balls. Using a 1″ cookie scoop, then roll and form into a ball using your hands.
I tested this recipe by rolling the cookie balls in powdered sugar AND sprinkles and here’s what I discovered:
- The powdered sugar didn’t do much for the cookies. It basically made a mess, and didn’t look very pretty.
- The cookies looked MUCH better when only rolling in the sprinkles. (leaving out the powdered sugar completely)
Tools I use for baking these Cream Cheese Cake Mix Cookies (Amazon Affiliate Links):
- Nordic Ware Aluminum Sheet Pans which are fantastic for cookies, and making sheet pan dinners, too!
- I also line these sheet pans with Silicone Baking Mats. These are crucial in the cookies baking evenly. The cookies will NOT stick, which makes it very easy to slide off the pan.
- Lastly, I absolutely LOVE my OXO Good Grips Silicone Cookie Spatula. It is VERY helpful in transferring delicate cookies like these. The silicone spatula surface is very thin and slides under warm cookies without breaking or tearing.
Step 3 Bake and Cool the Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Once the cookies bake, let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes to cool. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to let cool completely.
Enjoy these Cream Cheese Cake Mix Cookies!
These cookies are fantastic for just about any celebration or event. You can use seasonal sprinkles (Valentine’s Day, St. Patricks Day, Easter, July 4th, Halloween and Christmas) very interchangeably!
FAQ’s about Funfetti Cookies with Cake Mix:
What kind of sprinkles should I use?
- I discovered there are two types of sprinkles that work well. Nonpareils and jimmies worked the best. Nonpareils are tiny ball shaped, hard sprinkles and jimmies are tiny tube-sized sprinkles that are slightly softer in texture.
Can you freeze cake mix cookies?
- Yes, absolutely. If freezing these cookies, make sure they are cooled completely and at room temperature before packaging. Add to an air-tight container or freezer bag. If stacking, separate each layer with a sheet of waxed paper to prevent from sticking together.
Which type of cake mix should I use for cake mix cookies?
- I recommend using a simple white cake mix. This way, you can customize your cookies with the color of sprinkles you’re using.
If you loved these delicious Funfetti Cookies with Cake Mix, then be sure to check out some of my other recipes using cake mixes:
German Chocolate Cookie Bars at Real Housemoms
Don’t miss some of my other awesome Funfetti recipes:
Here’s the recipe for my Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 (15.25 oz.) white cake mix
- 3/4 c. sprinkles, divided
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add in the egg and extracts, stopping to scrape down beater and sides of bowl. Gradually add in the cake mix, stopping mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- To the batter, add in 1/4 cup of the sprinkles. Fold in with rubber scraper. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sprinkles to a small bowl.
- Using a 1" cookie scoop, scoop out chilled dough. Using your hands, roll into small balls, then roll in the sprinkles to cover completely.
- Place on lined baking sheets and bake for 11-13 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Gently transfer to cooling rack for the cookies to cool completely.
Optional ingredient: 1/2 cup powdered sugar for rolling the cookies.
I tested this recipe with the powdered sugar, and discovered that the powdered sugar was not necessary. The cookies look better without the sugar and the sprinkles are more uniform.
If you would like to use powdered sugar, roll cookie balls in sugar before rolling in the sprinkles.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: approximately 36 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 13gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g