2020 Summer Fun Guide and Savings List
Summer might look a little different this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun! I’ve put together a summer fun guide and included everything you need for hosting some back-yard fun.
This post was created in partnership with Dollar General. All photos, ideas and opinions are 100% my own. #sponsored #DollarGeneralFinds #DollarGeneral
For our family, summer is usually jam-packed with cookouts, parties and trips to the beach. However, because of the world around us, this summer is looking a little different. However, we’re determined to not let current circumstances ruin the fun. There are still many ways we can safely enjoy the outdoors and interact with our friends and neighbors.
Because we haven’t seen our neighbors for a while, I wanted to host a small, safely distanced get-together. I was planning to have our families in our back yard for a S’mores and Pours night. (S’mores for the kiddos and “pours” for the adults.) I wanted to make sure we had everything we needed for a fun evening, so I made a stop at Dollar General for all of my back yard essentials.
You can now save even MORE with Dollar General by using the Dollar General App! When you sign up for the DG App you’ll receive digital coupons and you can even create a shopping list, so you make sure to get everything you need.
Here’s what I had on my DG summer back yard shopping list:
- True Living Outdoor Chair Pads – at just $8 each, these cushions were a fantastic find. They pretty paisley fabric matches my navy blue umbrella perfectly!
- Citronella Candle Buckets – $5, great for keeping the mosquitoes away.
- Off Bug Spray – $5.75, dusk is when the bugs come out. We were ready!
- Studio Selections Sunscreen Spray for Kids, SPF 50 – $5, a must all summer long!
- Calico Hot Shot Lighter – $3, an essential for lighting the candles and our fire-pit.
- Gentle Steps Baby Wipes – $1.85, these are a MUST for any S’mores night! Always great for keeping hands clean, and very handy when roasting marshmallows! I was SO glad I grabbed these – highly recommend!
Here’s the food and drink I picked up for my S’mores and Pours night:
For the adults, I made sure to have plenty of cold beverages like bottles of Brightlands Chardonnay and Moscato as well as a 12-pack of White Claw Hard Seltzer.
- Brightlands Chardonnay, $5
- Brightlands Moscato, $5
- White Claw Hard Seltzer 12-Pack, $18.55
For the kiddo’s, I grabbed all the goodies for a make-your-own S’mores tray. I picked up Clover Valley Graham Crackers, Fudge Peanut Butter Cookies, Coconut Fudge Caramel Cookies, and Marshmallows. I also grabbed a few packages of Hershey’s chocolate bars and Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- Clover Valley Marshmallows, $1
- Hershey’s 5-Pack Snack-Sized Chocolate Bars, $1
- Reese’s 5-Pack Snack-Sized Peanut Butter Cups, $1
- Clover Valley Fudge Peanut Butter Cookies, $2
- Clover Valley Coconut Fudge Caramel Cookies, $2
As expected, both the drinks and the S’mores were a huge hit! I loved the fact that the kids could enjoy a campfire making s’mores and the adults could kick back and relax with our drinks and talk – something we haven’t been able to do in a long time.
July 4th Summer Essentials
While at Dollar General, I also made sure to pick up everything I needed for our July 4th holiday. This summer our July 4th might look a little different than years past, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun. We always have a cookout to celebrate Independence Day, and this year we will do the same. Here’s what I picked up at Dollar General to make sure we’re July 4th ready!
Here’s all of our favorite July 4th Cookout essentials:
- Clover Valley Hot Dog Buns, $1.25
- Eckrich Jumbo Franks, $2
- Eckrich Cheddar Smoked Sausages, $3.25
- Clover Valley Sweet Relish, $1.50
- Clover Valley Dill Pickles, $1.75
- Clover Valley Brown Sugar Baked Beans, $1.40
- Clover Valley French Onion Dip, $2
- Clover Valley Ketchup, $1
I always make Deviled Eggs for our July 4th Cookout, and all of my ingredients are available at Dollar General:
- Clover Valley Large Eggs, $1.25
- Clover Valley Yellow Mustard, $.85
- Clover Valley Mayonnaise, $1.50
- Clover Valley Salt Grinder, $1.50
- Clover Valley Pepper Grinder, $1.50
- Clover Valley Paprika, $1
- Egg Keeper Serving Tray, $2 (This is very convenient for both refrigerating the deviled eggs and for serving!)
And to pull it all together, I made sure to grab red, white and blue Dollar General Party plates, napkins, cups and cutlery, along with some sparkle garland for the table.
- 9” Red dinner plates, $1
- 7” Blue appetizer plates, $1
- 10-count red cups, $1
- Red stripe napkins, $1
- 24-count blue cutlery, $1
- Patriotic sparkle garland, $1
It feels great knowing that in this uncertain time, we can still celebrate with our family and enjoy our summer together. This is a great opportunity to get outside, relax and reconnect with our friends and neighbors.
Invite your friends and neighbors to pull up a chair, grab a drink and hot dog, and enjoy the day. After all, we are still a community, we are still family.
From my family to yours, we want to wish you a safe, healthy, and happy Summer!