The cold, blustery days of winter call for a comforting cup of hot chocolate. Flavored with Amaretto Liquor for a subtle almond flavor and rich chocolate, this Amaretto Hot Chocolate is the most decadently delicious drink perfect on a cold night!
Now that its January, and the dead of winter has finally setting in, I always crave a delicious hot cup of cocoa, especially in the evening. This Amaretto Hot Chocolate is my new favorite way to indulge in a decadent, delicious hot beverage!
The recipe for this hot cocoa is very simple, and WAY better than any store-bought, powdered mix. It’s made with whole milk, along with semi-sweet chocolate making a very rich, creamy texture. You can also use a lower fat milk, however, I’ve discovered that whole milk is the best option if you want a creamier cup of cocoa. Additionally, you can also use dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips, if you prefer the flavor to those instead of the semi-sweet.
I often enjoy adding a shot of liquor into my hot chocolate. I recently tried Amaretto, and had to ask myself, “Why have I not done this sooner?!” I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and almonds, and this hot chocolate recipe is no exception. The Amaretto liquor provides a wonderfully, sweet complimentary flavor to the chocolate, and when topped with whipped cream and slivered almonds, you’ll think you’ve died and gone to hot cocoa heaven! 😉
I’ve topped my hot chocolate with whipped cream, slivered almonds (wonderful!!!), and some chocolate shavings. However, if you’re more of a marshmallow person, add those on top instead of the whipped cream. They’ll be just as fantastic!
Here’s the easy, delicious recipe for Amaretto Hot Chocolate:
- 3 c. whole milk
- ⅔ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ c. sugar
- pinch/grind of salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 3 oz. Amaretto Liquor (1 oz. per glass)
- Whipped Cream/Whipped Topping
- Slivered Almonds
- Chocolate Shavings
- In a medium sauce pan, add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar and salt. Heat on medium low heat, whisking often. Continue to whisk until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture comes to a low simmer. (Do NOT let boil, as it will burn to the bottom of the pan.) Once liquid comes to a low simmer, promptly remove from heat. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into 3 mugs, and add 1 oz. Amaretto liquor to each glass. Stir to combine. Top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
This hot chocolate is wonderful after a long day, or after coming in from the cold. Enjoy with your favorite biscotti, or cookies.
Stay warm, everyone! Cheers! ~Erin