My Grandma’s Best Chocolate Cake is famous! This decadent chocolate sheet cake recipe is topped with a luscious chocolate icing making it my all-time favorite chocolate cake. Once slice won’t be enough!
Grandma’s Best Chocolate Cake
This incredibly delicious chocolate sheet cake recipe might just be my all-time favorite dessert. I don’t say this because it is a recipe that has been handed down generations, or that that this is my Grandma’s Best Chocolate Cake recipe. I say that this is my favorite dessert because it is nearly perfect in every way.
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your CAKE or DESSERT board on Pinterest!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest for some of the very best dessert ideas!
If you are looking for the best chocolate cake recipe, you don’t need to look any further. This chocolate sheet cake recipe has it all – a super moist, flavorful cake that is perfectly tender, but not overly dense. It’s topped with a homemade chocolate fudge frosting that is wonderfully rich, yet, not too much. Once you make this chocolate cake, you’ll never go back to any other recipe!
Grandma’s Best Chocolate Cake – a recipe that has been passed down generations
My Grandma Dona is a sweetheart, and like many other grandma’s, will spoil her grand kids with the best goodies. One of these goodies is her AMAZING Chocolate Cake. Originally, this was a recipe that her mother-in-law, my Great-Grandma Ruth Deffenbaugh, passed down to her. There are few things I love more in life than how recipes get passed down from generation to generation. I am now making it for my family, so this beloved recipe has been passed down 4 generations – my son will be the 5th!
Here is Grandpa Denny and Grandma Dona with a few of their Great-Grandkids.
This photo of Grandma and Grandpa was taken earlier this summer when Harrison and I went back to SD to visit. I love spending time with our family and Harrison loves getting the chance to play with his cousins, which he only gets to see once a year. I really enjoy being back home in South Dakota, as it reminds me of how lucky I am to be from a place that really values family.
A chocolate sheet cake recipe shared with love!
Any time we are with Grandma, (either in SD or at their new winter-home in Florida), she will happily whip up this delicious cake. It is certainly a crowd-pleaser, and a dessert that will bring the entire family together. She will serve this for a birthday, or for any after-dinner dessert. Everyone loves the moist, rich cake, and the frosting brings it all together with its chocolaty, sweet goodness.
If you loved this delicious chocolate sheet cake recipe, be sure to check out some of my other delicious desserts:
- Red Velvet Sheet Cake
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Carrot Cake Sheet Cake
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Coconut Cream Poke Cake
- Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Turtle Poke Cake
Here’s the recipe for my Grandma Dona’s Best Chocolate Cake:
- 2 c. Sugar
- 2 c. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. cocoa
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. mini marshmallows (or 10 large marshmallows)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, flour, sugar and salt together. Set aside. In saucepan, add butter, oil, cocoa, and water and on medium bring to a boil. Pour hot liquid over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk, and add to mixture. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
- For frosting: In medium saucepan, heat milk, sugar, and butter stirring often. Promptly remove from heat after mixture comes to a boil. Add in chocolate chips and marshmallows, and beat until both are melted and smooth. Let cool for about 1-2 minutes, while stirring often. Pour frosting over cake, and let set up. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4179Total Fat: 148gSaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 2914mgCarbohydrates: 744gSugar: 515gProtein: 57g