If you know me at all, you’ll know that I’m a sucker for a good cup of coffee. It’s pretty much how I start every day. If it didn’t keep me awake at night, I could easily drink it all day long. I normally take my coffee with a bit of sweetener and a splash of cream – just enough to give it a nice, creamy texture. I liken a good cup of coffee to warm, comforting hug in a cup. 😉
There’s just one small problem…when it gets hot, like it is now in Northern Virginia, a hot cup of coffee when the heat and humidity is at 80+ first thing in the morning…yeah, that hot cup of coffee isn’t so desirable. Solution: The oh so delicious Iced Mocha Cream!
This is easily one of my favorite things to whip up in the blender. Its really easy, takes just a minute or two, and just as soothing and enjoyable as a hot cup of coffee. (The added chocolate doesn’t hurt, either.) 😉 Best of all, you don’t even have to turn on your coffee maker to delight in this lovely beverage. The recipe uses instant coffee granules, which are perfect for mixing with the ice and milk.
There’s also a nice, subtle sweetness that comes from the cocoa. I would liken this drink to a coffee house iced mocha, without the $4+ price tag. Yes, you can easily make an awesome iced mocha at home, and save yourself the trip and the money!! How awesome is that?!
Here is how this easy, delicious coffee comes together:
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 3/4 c. milk (your choice: skim, whole, almond or soy), very cold
- 1/4 c. half and half, very cold
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. instant coffee granules, or a single serving packet of Starbucks Via Instant Coffee (don't use coffee grounds or coffee beans)
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
- In a blender add your ice, milk, half and half, cocoa, sugar, and coffee granules. Blend until the ice is fully pureed. Pour into two glasses and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy right away! Makes two medium drinks or one large.
Now that spring has finally arrived and summer is just around the corner, do yourself a favor, and make yourself one of these fantastic Iced Mocha Creames. Kick your feet up, relax, and take in all that your day may bring.