The Ultimate Spicy Grilled Chicken!
Fire up the grill, its time for some amazing spicy grilled chicken! Chicken breasts, thighs or legs are marinated with cilantro, lime juice and a spicy habanero chili sauce, this verde chicken is a must-make for anyone that loves to bring the heat!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Verde Chicken that brings the heat!
Now that summer is in full swing, my grill has been working overtime! My family and I love grilling in the summer, not only because it brings amazing flavor to our meal, and its a quick, easy way to get dinner on the table. Double-victory, right?!!
Having a variety of easy, delicious grilling recipes for the summer is a must. I recently added this verde chicken to my arsenal of recipes – its definitely one of our new favorites! Not only does it have some great spice, this spicy grilled chicken is a fantastic way to amp up plain ‘ole chicken breasts.
Here’s the simple steps to making this spicy grilled chicken recipe:
Step 1: Mix the Marinade
Marinating prior to grilling is one of the best (and easiest!) ways to add flavor and tenderness to your meat, especially chicken. I recently came across the awesome El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero hot sauce. What an amazing infusion of flavor, spiciness and heat! Paired with lime juice, cilantro and a couple other ingredients, it makes for a quick, easy marinade for chicken breasts.
Simply mix the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Add the chicken breasts to a resealable plastic bag or baking dish, and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the chicken (or cover if in a dish) and refrigerate.
For my recipe, I added about 2 tablespoons of El Yucateco sauce to my verde chicken marinade. It pairs wonderfully with the lime juice and cilantro, and that gorgeous green “verde” color is the star of the show!
Step 2: Preheat grill and cook chicken
When grilling your verde chicken, preheat your grill on high. Before you put your chicken on, turn OFF the grill, and generously spray with a non-stick grilling spray. This will help the chicken not stick to the grill grates. You can also coat the grates with a bit of olive oil, however, I’ve come to prefer the spray, as its not as messy.
Safety Tip: Remember to turn OFF the grill when spraying with non-stick spray. It can really flame up and be a safety hazard. Immediately turn the grill back on and set at a medium heat setting.
How long should I grill chicken breasts?
Depending on your grill (I have a gas grill that heats up pretty quickly), grill chicken breasts on medium heat for about 6 minutes per side.
How do I know when grilled chicken breasts are done?
Before removing the chicken from the grill, cut a thick side of the chicken to test for doneness. If the chicken is white all the way through and the juices run clear, the chicken is done. If there is still pink color, grill for a bit longer. When using an instant read digital thermometer, the temp should be 165 degrees. I have the ThermaPen MK4 Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer which is fantastic!
Once you take the chicken off the grill, cover with foil and let set for a few minutes – this will help ensure the chicken stays nice and juicy.
Step 3: Top verde chicken with sour cream, cilantro and lime juice for serving
Just before serving, I added a drizzle of sour cream to the chicken. This adds a nice cool, complementary flavor to the verde marinade. I also added a bit more chopped cilantro, which is a nice way to add in a bit more green color. Serve with lime wedges to add even more delicious lime flavor to every bite.
Here’s a quick-reference shopping list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this amazing spicy grilled chicken recipe:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (about 3-4 medium), you can also use legs and thighs
- El Yucateco Salsa Picante Green Hot Sauce
- 3-4 limes (2 for juice)
- Olive oil
- Sour Cream
If you loved this delicious Verde Chicken, check out my other Grilled Chicken recipes:
- Italian Grilled Chicken
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Caprese Chicken
- Grilled Chicken and Plum Skewers
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken
- Barbecue Chicken and Red Grape Skewers
Here’s the recipe for my Spicy Verde Chicken:
Spicy Verde Grilled Chicken
Fire up the grill, its time for some amazing chicken! Marinated with cilantro, lime juice and a spicy El Yucateco verde habanero chili sauce, this chicken will bring the heat!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2-3)
- 2 Tbsp. El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero green hot sauce
- juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 c.)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- sour cream for serving
- For marinade, whisk together the hot sauce, lime juice, olive oil, garlic and cilantro together in a small bowl.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add the chicken and pour the marinade over the chicken. Reseal the bag, coat the chicken with the marinade well. Refrigerate the chicken for 2-3 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your grill on high heat. Before adding the chicken, turn the grill OFF, and spray with a non-stick grilling spray. Turn grill back on, at a medium heat. Add the chicken skin side down and cool for about 6 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Remove from grill, cover the chicken with foil, and let rest for 5-10 minutes to help keep the chicken juicy. Just before serving add a bit of sour cream and additional chopped cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 14g
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KingOfFlavor #CollectiveBias
Speak Your Mind