Chocolate and strawberries have never been more delightful! Moist, delicious chocolate cake topped with an amazing strawberry whipped topping and hot fudge swirl! If you like chocolate covered strawberries, you’re gonna LOVE this cake!
This week I’m turning the big 4-0. I can’t say I’m super excited about it, as I’m not sure anyone really is when they’re entering middle-age. However, I will say that I have much to be grateful for – a fantastic family, wonderful friends and neighbors, and a fantastic community where I live.
My birthdays growing up were always a family affair – grandparents, lots of cousins, and of course my parents and brothers. I usually had one of two birthday cake options; 1) Angel-food cake with strawberries, or 2) Grandma’s Chocolate Cake. Both of these are pretty awesome, and both always bring back great memories of fantastic birthdays. This year for my birthday I couldn’t decide which to make, so since it’s a special milestone, I decided to combine the two into one glorious cake!
I started off with my Grandma’s Best Chocolate Cake, which it probably one of my all-time favorite chocolate cake recipes! It’s incredibly moist, delicious and the perfect amount of chocolate. I then wanted to add some strawberry into the cake, so I made an amazing Strawberry Cream Cheese Whipped Topping to layer on top. The flavor is incredible, and the perfect way to infuse some strawberry flavor. Next, I swirled some hot fudge on top of the strawberry topping, and ran a toothpick through it to create pretty stripes.
For a pretty garnish, I then dipped fresh strawberries into chocolate, and added one to the top of each slice! It really brings all the flavors of the cake together perfectly!
Here’s the recipe for this incredibly delicious Chocolate Covered Strawberry Chocolate Cake:
- 2 c. Sugar
- 2 c. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. cocoa
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Whipped Topping:
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg, cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 c. powdered sugar
- 2/3 c. strawberry puree
- 1 (8 oz.) container, frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 c. hot fudge ice cream topping
- Chocolate covered strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Set aside. In saucepan, add butter, oil, cocoa, and water and on medium heat. As soon as it comes to a simmer, remover from heat. Pour hot liquid over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk, and add to mixture. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
- While cake is cooling, with a hand or stand mixer cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add the strawberry puree, and mix until combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the whipping topping and mix until combined. Spread whipped topping over cooled cake.
- To add the hot fudge stripes, place warm hot fudge into resealable plastic bag. Snip off the tip of the bag, and run lines of fudge over the topping. In the opposite direction, drag a toothpick through the lines of the fudge to create a herringbone design.
- Refrigerate cake for 1-2 hours before serving to let topping set up. Add a chocolate covered strawberry to the top of each slice before serving.
For strawberry puree: place fresh strawberries into a blender and puree until smooth.
For chocolate covered strawberries: Rinse and dry fresh strawberries with paper towels. Melt about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in microwave on 30 second increments. Dip each strawberry into the melted chocolate. Place on waxed paper to cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you or someone in your birthday is celebrating a birthday, I hope it is fabulous! This cake is perfect for any occasion, and perfect when you’re looking for the flavors of home. Enjoy! ~Erin
Stop by the other blogs to check out their fantastic birthday themed content, too!
Kristin from Yellow Bliss Road
Kelly from Live Laugh Rowe
Erin from Delightful E Made
Sara from Mom Endeavors
Desiree from The 36th Avenue
Kara from Creations by Kara
Liz from Liz on Call
Alexis from Persia Lou
Mandy from Mandy’s Recipe Box
Destiny from Just Destiny Mag