These Riesling and Port Poached Pears with Baked Brie and Pecans are nothing short of spectacular! These pears are incredible easy to make, and will be a show-stopper at your next party or holiday gathering as a gorgeous appetizer. The perfect pairing with cocktails or wine!
As many of you know, this is my absolute favorite time of year. I have many reasons why I adore fall, but one in particular is the abundance of produce available at the grocery store and farmers market. One of my fall favorites is pears! The past several weeks I’ve been taking home bags of pears, which are fabulous and in season right now. One of my recent pear creations: Riesling & Port Poached Pears with Baked Brie and Pecans.
Poaching pears is a really simple, easy process. First, select one of your favorite USA Pears. I enjoy many varieties, but one of my favorites is the Bosc (or Boscdre). All 10 varieties of pears are in season right now! Like many varieties, Bosc are firm, yet sweet, ripen beautifully and are perfect for poaching! Many people prefer pears perfectly ripe, there are an abundance of uses for crisp and under-ripe pears. They are especially idea for poaching. To determine if a pear is ripe, simply apply gentle pressure at the narrow “neck” of the pear with your thumb. If it yields to pressure, its ripe.
As you seen in the photo above, the poaching process is very simple. First, peel the pears (using a vegetable peeler), leaving the stem. Then using a melon-baller, or spoon, scoop out the core, leaving a hallow center. Lastly, add the pears to your poaching liquid, and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until tender. Aren’t they beautiful!!
When deciding on a poaching liquid, there are many options. Traditionally, poaching is done in a wine and sugar liquid, but you could do just about any flavor combination your heart desires. Try experimenting with tea, burbon, coconut milk, beer or coffee. I went with a Riesling and Port combination, as the sweet wine goes wonderfully with the savory brie and pecans. Along with the wine and port, I added a cinnamon stick, whole cloves and orange zest. This made for an amazingly flavorful poaching liquid, and it definitely came through in the delicious pears!
This Riesling & Port Poached Pears with Brie and Pecans looks and tastes amazing, but is really is simple to make. The poached pears can be done ahead of time, refrigerated with the liquid, and brought out just before serving. Poached pears are not only a great appetizer but also great in desserts and even fantastic in salads and side-dishes. These would be perfect for a wine night with your friends, or a wonderful appetizer for a holiday party or gathering. With the holidays just around the corner, you definitely need to try this!
Served with sliced baguette, brown-sugar toasted pecans, and brie, the Riesling & Port poaches pears look and taste fabulous! Here’s how easily they come together:
- 4 medium-large USA Pears (I used Bosc)
- 1 bottle Riesling wine
- 1 1/2 c. Port wine (dessert wine)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp. whole cloves
- zest of one orange, (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 small wheel of brie cheese
- 1 puff pastry sheet (in frozen food section)
- 1 egg
- Toasted pecans
- 1 sliced baguette
- Rinse and peel the pears leaving the stem. With a spoon or melon-baller, scoop out the center core of the pears. In a medium saucepan, add the Riesling, Port, cinnamon, cloves and orange zest. Add the peeled pears into the liquid. Simmer for 35-40 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Let the pears cool in the liquid, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To prepare the baked brie, let the puff pastry thaw to room temperature. (Follow box directions). Place the small wheel of brie in the center of the sheet, and fold the edges into the top center of the cheese. Beat the egg, and brush the puff pastry on all outside surfaces. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees or until golden brown.
- Top the baked brie with the poached pears, and serve with the pecans and baguette slices. Enjoy!
As you can see, poaching pears is really simple. It yields beautiful, colorful pears that are perfect for any occasion! I hope you enjoy.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.