So, I’ve had my new slow cooker for about three weeks now, and I’ve used it at least 10 times. It really is one of the hardest working appliances in my house, and has saved me hours of meal prep already. I truly love the fact that I can throw together a meal in the early afternoon, run errands, take my son to football practice and have a hot meal ready to go when we walk through the door. I am forever grateful to the person that invented this ingenious piece of equipment!
This week I made one of my family’s slow cooker favorites: Country Curry Chicken. Don’t let the curry part throw you off – the recipe calls for sweet yellow curry, which is mild and not overly spicy. (My five-year-old could easily eat a full dinner plate of this tasty meal!) The recipe also includes golden raisins – the sweetness of these compliments the curry beautifully! Lots of veggies, and chicken make this a very healthy, well rounded meal. Serve over rice, and you have an amazing dinner for any night of the week.
- 1.75 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans, diced tomatoes
- 3/4 c. golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp. sweet, yellow curry
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In resealable plastic bag, add flour, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Mix to combine, then add the chicken thighs to lightly coat. Set aside. In large skillet, add olive oil and heat over med-high heat until hot. With tongs, add the lightly coated chicken thighs, discarding the remaining flour mixture. Brown the chicken for approximately 6 minutes per side until cooked through. Let chicken cool for a few minutes, and then move to a cutting board to chop the chicken into bit-sized pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the slow cooker.
- Chop the green pepper, onion, celery and garlic and add to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, raisins, curry, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir thoroughly to combine all ingredients.
- Cover slow cooker and cook for 3-5 hours on low. Serve with hot rice.
This dish is a fabulous comfort food meal. Perfect for a cool weather dinner, or after a day that has been really busy. Put it together earlier in the day, and you’ll come home to a ready meal. It doesn’t get much better than that!!